Institutional Biosafety and Chemical Safety Committee (IBCC)
The University of Texas at Dallas assumes responsibility for maintaining required standards of biological containment and handling for activities conducted in its facilities involving potentially biohazardous materials, including recombinant and synthetic DNA (rDNA/sDNA) molecules, as well as for research involving particularly hazardous chemicals.
As such, the University has a standing committee known as the Institutional Biosafety and Chemical Safety Committee (IBCC) that oversees the responsible conduct in these areas, both in research and teaching laboratories. The IBCC is a university-wide committee appointed by the President with the charge of reviewing all protocols that involve any of the following:
- Recombinant DNA
- Pathogenic organisms or other potentially infectious materials
- Human and non-human primate cells/tissues, blood, or other biological materials
- Research with animals/animal tissues known to be potential reservoirs of zoonotic disease (e.g. mosquitoes, bats, armadillos)
- Biological toxins or select agents
- Particularly hazardous chemicals
The standards that will be maintained by this committee either meet or exceed the current NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules, the CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL), and UT Dallas policies.
For more information on protocol registration, or general questions regarding the committee, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Sanaz Okhovat, Assistant Vice President for Research Compliance, 972-883-4579, AD 3.218, firstname.lastname@example.org, biosafety and chemical safety committee;conflict of interest;export control;institutional review board;lab animal resource center;lab safety;research compliance
- Shane Solis, Director, 972-883-4730, RL 1.712, email@example.com, biosafety and chemical safety committee;hazardous waste;lab safety;research compliance
- James Pharr, Safety Specialist, 972-883-5761, RL 2.742, firstname.lastname@example.org, biological safety;biosafety and chemical safety committee;research compliance
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- Institutional Biosafety and Chemical Safety Committee (IBCC)
- Conflict of Interest (COI)
- Lab Safety
- Export Control
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
- Contact with Federal Officials
- Shipping Guide