Minimal Review / Class Projects
Minimal Review and Class Projects are submitted electronically via OAR.
Please view the training video on using the application.
Once the Expedited Review application is completed, submit it to the IRB Office via email along with all relevant study materials.
After the IRB Office has received your application, an IRB Specialist will pre-review all submitted documents and forms. The IRB Specialist will ensure the application is complete and in keeping with the requirements for approval. The IRB Specialist may contact you to request clarifications or changes to the application / study documents. Once the pre-review process is complete, the review process is initiated.
- Minimal Review applications are reviewed and approved internally by the IRB Office. Once confirmed the study is exempt from federal regulations, an exemption number is assigned and approval documents are released.
- Expedited Review applications are reviewed by three (3) members of the IRB. The IRB Specialist will notify the PI of the IRB’s determination (approval or modifications needed). Once the study is approved, the IRB Specialist will release approval documents.
- Full Board Review applications are reviewed by all members of the IRB at a convened meeting. The IRB Specialist will notify the PI of the IRB’s determination (approval, modifications needed, or disapproval). Once the study is approved, the IRB Specialist will release an approval letter and stamped informed consent form(s).
Timeline from submission of an application to approval starts after the pre-review process is finalized and the review process is initiated by the IRB Specialist. Approximate timelines are listed below:
- Minimal Review: 1 week
- Expedited Review: 2 weeks
- Full Board Review: 4-6 weeks
If you have questions about which type of review your study should receive, please contact the IRB Office.
Once review of your application has been completed, a determination will be sent to the PI via email. Possible determinations are:
- The PI will receive approval documents from an IRB Specialist.
- Modifications Required for Approval
- A list of required modifications or needed information will be sent to the PI. The PI can revise the application and re-submit to the IRB Specialist. The revised application will be reassessed by the IRB Specialist and routed back to the original reviewer.
- The study does not meet the criteria for approval. Justification for this determination will be sent to the PI via email. The PI is able to revise the application and re-submit to the IRB for re-review. Disapproved Minimal Review applications may need to be re-submitted using the Expedited Review form.
Once you have received a notice of approval from the IRB Specialist, you may begin conducting the research as approved.