Mobility Technology Seed Grants incentivize faculty to develop mobility solutions through the submission of external proposals to the North Texas Center for Mobility Technologies (NTCMT). This RFP seeks proposals that align with the NTCMT funding criteria and have strong industrial support and funding. Mobility Technology Seed Grants that focus on the review of academic programs, curriculum development, University operations, or teaching methodologies will not be supported through this mechanism.
- The maximum allowable budget for a Mobility Technology Seed Grant is $5,000.
- A ceiling of $25,000 will be awarded.
- The duration is 6 months or less.
- Award funds will be transferred to the PI research enhancement cost center.
Submission Deadline: June 15, 2021
Program Guidelines and Review Criteria
A successful Mobility Technology Seed Grant proposal will demonstrate and be reviewed against the following criteria:
- Align with NTCMT funding criteria and commitment to submit project proposal to NTCMT
- Related to mobility technology and systems.
- Supported by contributions from industry partners, including letters of support. Combined industry partners must commit to at least 50% co-funding of the NTCMT request.
- Must advance a regional goal of improved access to jobs across the region, and/or environmental protection/resiliency, and/or economic development, and/or equity, and/or technology innovation leadership.
- Have the potential for significant progress in the development of mobility technology and systems
- The extent of difference between previous seed grant funding and the proposed project, if applicable.
- Individually, the PI and co-PI cannot have greater than $150,000 in their discretionary funds (e.g. Research Enhancement and Chair cost centers).
- The PI must have a primary UT Dallas appointment and be either tenured/tenure-track, or be a Center Director.
- Adjunct faculty, affiliate faculty, visiting researchers, and postdocs are not eligible to serve as either PI or co-PIs but may participate in the Mobility Technology Seed Grant.
- A faculty member may submit only one Mobility Technology Seed Grant proposal as a PI or co-PI during each submission period.
- Previous Mobility Technology Seed Grant awardees (PI and co-PIs) may submit a new Mobility Technology Seed Grant application no sooner than three calendar years from a prior award round. For example, a winner from spring 2021 would not be eligible to submit another application until spring 2024
- Faculty participating in the review process are not eligible to apply concurrently for a Mobility Technology Seed Grant.
- Transfer of funds to institutions or individuals outside of UT Dallas
- Indirect costs
Required Submission Materials
Proposal documents should have 1-inch margins and use 12-point font. Upload one combined document (preferably in PDF format).
- Summary. In 300 words or less describe the Mobility Technology Seed Grant and the potential impact of the theme area for a general audience.
- Proposal. Limited to three pages (does not include industry letters of support) with the following section headings in sequence.
- Proposal Title
- Team Members
- Industry partners and commitment
- Background: What is the opportunity, technology, and/or concept? What are the key questions/topics for the NTCMT? Why UT Dallas?
- Desired project outcome
- Expertise: disciplines (e.g., molecular biology, mechanical engineering, business, etc.) that are expected to offer contributions.
- Budget: Amount requested and category of use.
- Co-funding: Describe any co-funding sources and amounts
- Letters of Support – At least 1 industry letter detailing 50% co-funding commitment and support of project. May include additional letters from other sponsors.
- Previous seed grant funding. Limited to one page, if any team member has had previous seed grant funding through a UT Dallas program, detail the distinction between previous funding and the proposed project.
Upon award, you must submit the following information to the Office of Sponsored Projects:
- Prior to expiration of award, provide a copy of the proposal submitted to the NTCMT website.
- Upon request: Provide a brief presentation at UTD during a research symposium or other event to highlight the Mobility Technology Seed Grant impact.
- Recipients will serve on Seed Grant review panels. By accepting an award, recipients agree to score and provide written comments on assigned proposals before the review deadline and participate in in-person review meetings.
Other Terms and Conditions
- Funds will not be released until all necessary compliance-related approvals and/or training are acquired, such as IRB, IACUC, IBC, RCR, and COI.
- Funds expire and must be used for the designated purpose within 6 months of award. No carryover of funds will be permitted unless approval has been provided by the UT Dallas Office of Research. Any unused funds must be returned to the UT Dallas Office of Research.
- Failure to comply with Awardee Requirements will result in the suspension of Mobility Technology Seed Grant funding and faculty becoming ineligible for future seed grant competitions from the UT Dallas Office of Research.
- The Mobility Technology Seed Grant award must be acknowledged in any resulting publications, exhibitions, or events, including press releases, using the following language: “This project was funded (or partially funded) by The University of Texas at Dallas Office of Research through the Mobility Technology Seed Grant program.”