The UT Dallas Core Facilities Voucher Program (CFVP) is an internal funding mechanism designed to enable facility access to faculty whose project is not yet externally funded, to support extension of data for current projects, to raise awareness of various resources available to researches on campus, and to encourage use of shared resources and stimulate interdisciplinary research collaborations. Supported and led by the Office of Research, this program will be offered twice a year, in mid-Fall and late Spring pending availability of funds. Successful recipients of the voucher will include faculty members from different UT Dallas departments, programs, or schools. This program is well-suited to support the endeavors of those faculty with STEM backgrounds and project interests, although there is no limitation for faculty affiliations. In particular, the voucher program is suitable for PIs who wish to generate preliminary data or supporting data for proposals seeking external funding. PIs who accept the voucher commit to using the core facilities for collecting preliminary data prior to expiration dates of the voucher and participate in (oral presentation and/or student poster) during “Core Facilities Day”, which provides Faculty, Staff and Students an opportunity to share ideas, collaborate and present their research.
Vouchers ranging in value from $500-$5,000, for use in any of the 6 core facilities will be valid for 1 year from the issue date. Multiple vouchers will be issued and can be used in any of the below core facilities.
- Molecular & Protein Analysis Core
- Imaging & Histology Core
- Genome Center
- Flow Cytometry Core
- Mass Spectrometer Core
To be determined
Vouchers Start Date
To be determined
Eligibility & Requirements
Only UT Dallas faculty are eligible to participate in the voucher program. Adjunct faculty, affiliate faculty, visiting researchers and postdocs are not eligible to apply. To be considered for the voucher program, the following is required:
- A proposal (maximum of 2 pages) submitted by the deadline.
- A list of ongoing, externally funded projects (title and award number), if any.
- The proposal should list core facility/instruments that will be used, approximate # of hrs/services that will be required, participating personnel, total dollar amount needed and a timeline for use of the facility.
- The proposal should have sufficient technical details and a plan for how the resulting preliminary or supporting data ties into an anticipated proposal seeking external funding or expand research breadth under current funding.
- PIs may not have more than 1 concurrent vouchers.
- Current voucher awardees may not apply for another voucher program within 3 yrs from start date of their most recent voucher award.
- Faculty (PIs and Co-PIs) with existing internal seed grants are not eligible.
- Within 30 days after completion of the voucher program, the awardee must provide a brief report and emphasize how the resulting supporting data collected from the voucher program ties into a grant seeking external funding.
- Upon request, provide a brief presentation or a poster within UT Dallas during a research symposium, “Core Facility Day” or other event to highlight the Core Facility Voucher Program and Core Facilities.
- Upon request, provide subject matter expertise by participating on a review panel for a future Voucher Program.
Proposals will be reviewed by Office of Research with input on technical merit from the Faculty Advisory Board members of the core facilities. Proposals selected for the voucher program will be announced following the review period. A faculty may submit no more than 1 proposal per program cycle and faculty participating in the review process may not participate in the voucher program. PIs whose project proposals are not selected in a given program cycle may resubmit their proposals the following program cycle.
Other Terms and Conditions
- Funds will not be released until any necessary compliance related approvals have been made such as IRB/IACUC/IBC have been achieved.
- Use of funds must be initiated within 60 days from the voucher start date. Failure to do so will result in termination of the voucher and the funds will be allocated for use towards subsequent voucher programs.
- The non-transferrable funds expire and must be used within 12 months of award such that no carryover of funds will be permitted unless approval has been provided by the Office of Research.
- The Core Facility Voucher Program must be acknowledged in any resulting publications, including press releases, using the following language: “This project was funded (or partially funded) by The University of Texas at Dallas Office of Research through the Core Facility Voucher Program.”
- The PI must provide an appropriate citation for the publication which will be posted on Core Facility website.
For further information please contact Jimmy Gowrisanker.