When traveling outside of the United States, researchers need to know their responsibilities under export control regulations. While travel to most countries does not create an export control issue, export control regulations can affect:

  • Traveling with devices for a conference or meeting such as
    • Laptops;
    • Encryption products;
    • Data or technology; or,
    • Blueprints, drawings or schematics.
  • Carrying unpublished technical information related to a defense article
  • Carrying or providing technology or data to a private conference or meeting (in which attendees are limited and notes are not permitted)
  • Exchanges of goods and services in certain countries
  • Trips to sanctioned or embargoed countries
  • Conducting business with restricted or debarred individuals or entities

Export License Exception for Temporary Exports (TMP)

The Office of Research Integrity and Outreach offers a temporary exception (TMP) to export licensing requirements for UTD travelers carrying outside of the United States UTD-owned items or technology that would normally require a license from the Department of Commerce.

The Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR) makes an exception to licensing requirements for the temporary export or reexport of certain items, technology, or software for professional use as long as the criteria in the TMP exception are met.

The exception does not apply to any EAR satellite or space-related equipment, components, or software, or to any technology associated with high-level encryption products and cannot be used for travel to Iran, Syria, Cuba, North Korea, or Sudan (in limited circumstances TMP can be used for Sudan). This exception does not apply to items, technology, data, or software regulated by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

The License Exception form is available here and as part of the International Travel Approval packet.

UTD travelers carrying personal property can find information on the temporary license exception for personal baggage (BAG) in EAR 740.14.

An export license may be required if federal regulations control access to the item you are carrying or the country to which you are traveling. A license may also be required if you are providing a defense service to a foreign person, even if the exchange is based on information in the public domain.

Please send an email to for more information on licensing. For more information on international travel, please also visit the International Center Risk and Safety Office (ICRSO).


Shipping items outside of the U.S. may require a license from one of the federal departments responsible for export control. If you are unsure whether a license is needed please contact UT Dallas Procurement Management at (972) 883-2300.

If a license is required, please be aware export licenses can take up to six months to receive, depending on the nature of the export and the licensing agency. Do not ship an item outside of the U.S. without the proper licensing. US Customs will fine UT Dallas and the individual researcher who sent the package if they discover a shipment sent without the proper licensing.

Most tangible items, and some software and information, are export-controlled. Some entities, people, and uses are restricted, and approval is needed to ship to them. Other items are hazardous (chemicals, batteries, radioactive items, etc.), and need to be packaged and labeled appropriately.