UT Dallas: Innovation-driven / Industry-friendly
UT Dallas has a long history of forming lasting, mutually beneficial relationships with our industry partners. With a business-experienced team and an entrepreneurial mindset, the university works with its community, industry partners, and the public at large, through two primary business units:
- the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and
- the Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC)
Through the programs, services, and resources available through these two business units, our goal is to establish truly collaborative, win/win relationships.
The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship is principally focused on educating, empowering, and equipping the students, alumni, faculty & staff of UT Dallas. The over-arching goal is to ensure these university stakeholders are in the best position to make a meaningful economic impact on the North Texas region and to deliver the innovations sourced at UT Dallas to the larger, global community.
In day-to-day terms, this means: utilizing world-class, academic education in innovation and entrepreneurship; offering industry-leading experiential training; providing expert venture mentorship & advisory assistance; and, facilitating other resources, when needed, to support the adoption of innovations into industry or the launch of new businesses.
Read more at the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
As compared to the more internal, startup-centric mission of the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the Office of Technology Commercialization’s mission is more external and industry-oriented. Elements of the OTC’s underlying approach to establishing long-lasting, industry-friendly relationships includes:
- Simplified agreements, written with flexibility and a focus on “getting to yes” in mind
- Identifying shared interests with our partners, ranging from large enterprises seeking to supplement their R&D capabilities anchoring an existing line of business, to fast-moving investor groups seeking to rapidly go from lab-to-launch with a new product.
- Adhering to core values, based on the public trust invested in UT Dallas to commercialize the technologies discovered at the university, in partnership with industry. These values include:
- expanding and strengthening scientific knowledge
- exchanging scientific acumen and knowledge
- establishing reasonable front-end, technology value
- leveraging financial resources
- achieving mutually beneficial financial rewards
While very enterprise-savvy, the OTC equally emphasizes the creation and development of new business ventures and welcomes the interest and participation of investors and entrepreneurs who desire to explore and/or collaborate with UT Dallas in connection with its start-up activity.
Locate Available Technologies
UT Dallas has a wide range of innovations and talented innovators in natural and social sciences, business and technology, emerging communications, the arts and humanities.
Find the Right Research(er)
If you are not already in communications with a researcher and/or you are unsure if UT Dallas even has expertise in a particular area of interest to you or your firm, then let us help. We will help you put an agreement in place with the right UT Dallas researchers to: enable confidential discussions; contract for services or the transfer of materials and knowledge; or, secure the rights to UT Dallas-owned intellectual property rights.
The OTC recognizes that there are some fundamental differences between a licensing agreement entered into with an educational institution versus one with a commercial party. OTC personnel are industry-experienced and understand the fundamental needs of its industry licensing partners. By coupling the essential elements of license agreement know-how with an academic institution’s operational guidelines, we strive to create a smoother and more efficient negotiation process.
We do this through a team of licensing counsel who are highly experienced in working with university technology transfer offices and in expediting successful negotiation processes. And, we further smooth the process by featuring standard agreements that are widely accepted in industry, substantially reducing or even eliminating extensive negotiations.